Von: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Treggiari, Leo
Gesendet: Dienstag, 3. Mai 2005 14:26
An: CDT General developers list.
Betreff: RE: [cdt-dev] Using 2.1.1 managed build definitions to 3.0

Hi Norbert,

- is it wise at all to migrate to the new schema at this point or am I working with an alpha release?

You are working with an alpha release, but I expect what you are trying to do to work.

- will support for the deprecated attributes be removed for the CTD 3.0 release? (The documentation seems to say: no)

The deprecated attributes will not be removed in 3.0, and will never be removed unless it becomes impractical to support them.

- will there be more detailed documentation for the migration at a later point? (Like an overhaul of the extensibility document)

Yes, there will be an overhaul of the existing tool-integrator document, but that won’t happen until around GA time.

========snip===========

     <tool id="de.siemens.rmos.crossdevel.simulation.tools.compiler"

        superClass="cdt.managedbuild.tool.gnu.c.compiler.cygwin.exe.debug"

        command="/bin/gcc"

        headerExtensions="h,H"

        name="GCC C Compiler"

        outputFlag="-o"

        natureFilter="cnature">

      <inputType
            dependencyCalculator="org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.makegen.gnu.DefaultGCCDependencyCalculator"
            dependencyExtensions="o"
            id="de.siemens.rmos.crossdevel.simulation.tools.compiler.inputType"
            primaryInput="true"
            sources="c"/>
      <outputType
            id="de.siemens.rmos.crossdevel.simulation.tools.compiler.outputType"
            outputs="o"
            primaryInputType="de.siemens.rmos.crossdevel.simulation.tools.compiler.inputType"
            primaryOutput="true"/>
    </tool>
========snap==========

I’m not sure what the problem is.  Are you also defining your own linker tool definition?  If yes, please let me see that also.

If no, try adding:

            buildVariable=”OBJS”

to your outputType definition.  I haven’t tested using old-style and new style attributes in the same tool chain, but that needs to be supported.

Also:

            dependencyExtensions="o"
is incorrect.  It should be:

            dependencyExtensions="h,H"

Thanks,

Leo

seeing the design document is helpful, but I still can't get anything working. So my first questions are

- is it wise at all to migrate to the new schema at this point or am I working with an alpha release?

- will support for the deprecated attributes be removed for the CTD 3.0 release? (The documentation seems to say: no)

- will there be more detailed documentation for the migration at a later point? (Like an overhaul of the extensibility document)

If you think it is worthwhile to make the attempt now, here is a snippet from my build definitions:

[...]

The symptoms I see are simply that the compiler is not started anymore. When I start a rebuild the linker is called right away. I tried a few variations of the above, but always with the same result.

During my previous attempts with managed builder definitions I have found that many problems are resolved when I find the right superclass for an element. This was not possible at this time since the org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.ui plugin.xml, which contains all the base definitions, does not yet have any inputType and outputType definitions.

What is your (or anybody else's) advice?

- Leave it for a while.

- Get newer sources.

- Change my definitions (please specify which ones).

Thanks for your help

Norbert Ploett