RE: [cdt-dev] Indexer Requirements for 3.0

There are a couple of problems with parsing all header files on the
include path:

1) Scalability. The number of files on an include path is somewhat
unbounded. Parsing is expensive and we would need to control how much we
do.
2) Correctness. Parsing a header file on it's own does not always work.
And in the world of Windows development and precompiled headers, it is
generally guaranteed not to work. If the user doesn't require full
accuracy, then it should be possible to do a ctags kind of thing to get a
general hint at what is in the header files. Or if the user promises to
ensure that all header files will behave like translation units, then they
could use the parser based indexer.

All this points back to the user configurability of the indexer to make
sure we are doing the right thing for their environment.

Doug Schaefer
Ottawa Lab, IBM Rational Software Division

Keith Campbell/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
01/14/2005 10:50 AM
Please respond to
cdt-dev

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
RE: [cdt-dev] Indexer Requirements for 3.0

Bogdan,

One value of indexing non-referenced headers is that it helps when the
user wants to start using something new and needs a reminder where it is
declared. A quick-fix option could be to include the required file.

-Keith

Bogdan Gheorghe/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
2005/01/14 10:33

Please respond to
cdt-dev

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject

cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 01/13/2005 08:07:04 PM:

> [...]

I'm not sure if indexing non-referenced headers from a project include
path as part of an overall project index is a good idea - but I understand
what you're trying to do. There is an item in the requirements for being
able to manually add items to the index or maybe we can allow users to
pass in a list of folders they wish indexed to the offline indexer.

Back to the top