[cdt-dev] CDT Debug/GDB API change/churn (post 2.0)

Bonjour,

(cc: cdt-dev)

  So 2.0 was GA, lots of things on the debug side were pushed away because of
the shake-down between Eclipse-3.0 new Debug{Core,UI} framework and the CDT debug.

We are resuming work on the GDB/MI, CDI etc ..  to do this we will need to
break the API's.

For example, folks been asking better Console support(Although in an IDE
you should not need to have this ... 8-), we can do a better job with GDB-6.x
with the comming of new MI Command :

 -interpreter-exec

(gdb) -interpreter-exec console "break main"

First point:
 Should we drop support for gdb-5.2.x and require the CDT/GDB/MI to be
 at least 6.x ?

Second point:
 Folks sending us email about specialized MI command, CDT/GDB/MI can
not take advantage of those commands unless, they are part of the stock
GDB(from the FSF).  A few course of action, send them to the GDB list
so they can be integrated back to gdb, or make your own custom CDI implemenation
that can extend much of the CDT/GDB/MI plugins with a few overloading.

Of course any feedbacks(help is always welcome), ideas cdt-debug-dev is the good forum.
We are slowly(read painfully) getting through the long list of PRs, but if want
to draw attention to some patch/design issue, cdt-debug-dev is still the right place
for a wider audience.

Thanks.

Back to the top