[cdt-dev] Re: [cdt-test-dev] CDT M9 End Game

Hi CDT-Dev and CDT-Test-Dev,

I did a basic sanity and some general poking around.  I was testing on
RedHat EL3.  Here are my findings.

First the good news.  I noticed (and forgive me for any omissions):
- Automated path discovery is now on by default, allowing out-of-the-box
content-completion and open declaration.
- "Project Paths" properties that allow the user to specify what parts of
Big Projects are applicable to various parts of CDT.
- Indexer can provide some helpful problem markers (apparently my
<istream> has a mismatched #ifdef in it)
- C/C++ File Types exist as preferences and project properties presumably
to solve the dilemma of misleading file extensions.
- C/C++ Browsing perspective exists now, with 4 new views.

Now, the bad news.  This is a list of the major items (things that might
affect declaring M9), and again only on one tested platform. Defects will
be forthcoming tomorrow (if not raised already).

C/C++ File Types is decorative, but not really very functional:
- changes to properties are thrown away.
- iostream, etc. listed in the preferences does not change the way
iostream is actually parsed.

You still cannot content-complete or open declaration of printf on Red
Hat.

Is Debug's Registers view supposed to work?  I get the following message:
Target request failed: No symbol "eax" (etc.) in current context.

One of my debug sessions terminated with a core file,  I think from
toggling Instruction mode in the Debug view from the Dev perspective.

Migration issues from CDT 1.2.1 projects (via Import; very simple "hello
world" projects)
- The binary parser is no longer "ELF" (now "Elf").  This results in a log
warning "Binary Parser failure", as well as not having a binary parser.
- Make a change to the project properties and it notices that the project
file is missing the Scanner Config Builder and complains.
- Managed make does not upgrade the project at Import; you must close and
reopen the project to upgrade it.

Cannot build after cancel build of a Managed Project.

Also noted:
- 64632: NPE in BuildConsoleViewer.lineGetStyle when creating first
project.  This causes that project to remain unbuilt.

Cheers,

Brent

Douglas Schaefer/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: cdt-test-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
05/28/2004 03:46 PM
Please respond to
cdt-test-dev

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, cdt-test-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[cdt-test-dev] CDT M9 End Game

Hey gang,

Sounds like the committers are ready for M9. We will do one more build
tomorrow morning at the regular 3am EST slot. Brent has committed to
looking at this over the weekend and others are encouraged as well. If
things look good, we can declare this M9 on Monday.

Feedback accepted as always. And thanks for the great effort that was
unfortunately necessary to make this happen! We have lots of stories to
tell the Eclipse platform folk, no?

Cheers,
Doug Schaefer, IBM's Eclipse CDT Architect
Ottawa (Palladium), Ontario, Canada