From: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Alex Chapiro
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 5:18 PM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] New generated makefile pattern

StarTeam is another example (one of our major customers uses it). We
just set  read-only flag off at the moment of touching, then restore
it.
Not necessary to do it with CVS.

Douglas Schaefer wrote:

Ouch. How would that work in a scenario where you do not have write
permission to the files that have to be built, e.g., in a ClearCase
dynamic view?

Doug Schaefer, IBM's Eclipse CDT Architect
Ottawa (Palladium), Ontario, Canada

Alex Chapiro <achapiro@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
05/19/2004 04:28 PM
Please respond to
cdt-dev

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [cdt-dev] New generated makefile pattern

Sean Evoy wrote:

Chris,
There are two basic extension I am thinking about; a makefile
generator
that you can supply in the toolchain, and dependency calculators
that
you can supply with a tool. They have to interact to get the deps

right.

Optionally they can avoid interaction, as in our implementation of
dependency checker which just touches files that has to be rebuild
and
relies on the standard make dependency checking rules.