Re: [cdt-dev] Toolchains in CDT

At 10:17 AM 2/12/2004 -0500, you wrote:

The reliance of addr2line is not in the core, its currently in a particular (contributed) binary parser (GNU binary parser)

The same was not true for objdump until recently and generally speaking there is information available in binutils that is not currently available through the CDT. The way to get this information is not to provide a "get me objdump" interface, but rather a "get the data objdump can provide" interface. Addr2line is a good example because it's simple. Objdump because it's not really there today.

Second, the GNUBinaryParser needs to support an extension point that allows users to specify their toolchain. There are enough of us on GNU based systems that the need to plug in a "new" set of tools is quite common. Now that we have an IBinaryParser that abstracts any idea of command line tools from the core, having an implementation of that interface that supports tool chain specification via extension point is a good idea.

Maybe the managed build configuration could contribute this type of binary parser then it can tie it to the underly set of tools that is has, hence consolidating this toolchain concept into one integration point (or well defined set of...).

As long as unmanaged projects can also do this.

Thanks!
-Chris

Back to the top