RE: [cdt-dev] Toolchains in CDT

We have discussed this before (at some length) : however, there were not
enough stakeholders at the table who were willing to do the work required
to iterate on this problem.  While we are focussing on the GNU toolchain
in the immediate, our overall success will be determined by the number of
different toolchains, target OS's and platforms we can accommodate with
such a model, with support for all builders (standard, managed or
proprietary).

So in short, I agree w/Pierre-Alexandre.

JohnC
www.eclipse.org/cdt

cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 02/11/2004 03:17:10 PM:

> Also maybe one other thing to take in consideration in the architecture
> is that the eclipse platform wanted to integrate some generic concepts.
> I wonder if the toolchain was part of that or not. If it is the case I
> guess we should try to push the abstraction a bit further - something
> like a toolchain is a set of tools. Then from there we could have a C
> toolchain definition which would be more specific to C functionalities.
>
> Just some thoughts on the overall debate.
>
> Pierre-Alexandre
>
> On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 14:48, Lott, Jeremiah wrote:
> > OK.  The binary parser is the area I know the least about at this
point.
> > As a toolchain provider our goal was to have a user be able to choose
> > "toolchain" from a drop-down containing a set of known toolchains,
> > rather than specifying the path for each tool individually.  That way
we
> > can extend an extension point and advertise that our tools are
available
> > on the machine.  We could probably implement that completely in the
UI.