Re: [cdt-dev] EditorUtility.getStorage(IBinary)

> Hi!
>
> After a long hiatus on CDT, we are moving forward to 1.2.1. 1.2.1 is a lot
> better for us than 1.0.1 was. The number of things we are going to have to
> change in the CDT is a lot less. Great work folks, we are very happy. It's
> much closer to a platform now than it was a year ago.

Cool.
1.2.1, is a good improvement.

The head is actually moving along good, some good features coming for CDT-2.x

> This email addresses the first of a series of specific issues that we are
> handling with changes to the CDT itself. As we address these issues, we are
> happy to submit patches back if they are of interest. My intent in bringing
> them to the list is two fold. First, gauge interest in the issue itself.
> Second, if the issue is of interest, get an understanding of what fix is
> most acceptable to the committers.

It will depend if you want this for the head or the branch.
The branch(CDT-1.2.1) will be more problematic ...
But have no such trouble for the head.

> EditorUtility still has a direct reference to objdump in it for use on
> IBinary. This is problematic where objdump is not present or where objdump
> must be invoked differently from the specifics coded into EditorUtility.
> Does anyone care?

Yes, since we want to remove this in the head for CDT-2.0

> If you do care, do you think that the right solution is to push the
> getStorage method into the IBinary interface?

The ICElement has a complex IBuffer management that was put in place,
So we could do:
  byte[] ICElement.getBuffer().getCharacters()
  String ICElement.getBuffer().getContents()

Unfortunately, the buffer management was more desing to deal with IFile/IResource.
In theory we could overload the IBuffer for IBinary.

  IBinary.getBuffer().getCharacters();
  IBinary.getBuffer().getContents();

> If not, what's the right way
> to get this direct reference to objdump out of EditorUtility?

The problem is where do we get "objdump -CxS"?, who will spawn() it?
How to override it ?  etc ...
I'm very interested to your scheme for this, nothing satisfactory was found so far.

Back to the top