Re: [cdt-dev] Is the Binary Parser a project or build property

I would think it's a build thing since the setting depends on what target
you are building for.  Standard Make doesn't know what the target is so
the user has to set it.

Having said that, I would consider it a Resource setting, since you should
be able to do multi-target builds with the CDT meaning you'll have the
build results for different targets available in the same project.  I
don't think we really handle that situation today (at least not in a user
friendly way).  Having said that (...) I don't see why we can't detect the
type of binary by just looking at it.  Most binary formats I know of have
some magic bits at the beginning to tell you what it is (or am I wrong?
It's certainly true with PE).

Doug Schaefer, Senior Software Developer
IBM Rational Software, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Sean Evoy/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: cdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
09/17/2003 04:59 PM
Please respond to
cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[cdt-dev] Is the Binary Parser a project or build property

Hi All,
Just a quick question about the reorganized C/C++Make Project and C/C++
Project property pages. I noticed that the Binary parser selector is now
located on the C/C++ Make Project property page. I would have thought that

the use of the binary parser was independent of the build system being
used, and so would remain on the C/C++Project property page. I'm sure
users of the managed build system will still want to switch the parser
they are using. If we can't put the binary parser selector tab back on the

project property page for a technical reason, I will add it to my own
managed build property page.

Sean Evoy
Rational Software - IBM Software Group
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada