Re: [cdt-dev] Is the Binary Parser a project or build property

> I would think it's a build thing since the setting depends on what target
> you are building for.  Standard Make doesn't know what the target is so
> the user has to set it.
>
> Having said that, I would consider it a Resource setting, since you should
> be able to do multi-target builds with the CDT meaning you'll have the
> build results for different targets available in the same project.  I

Good point, we do not.  If you have a project that is a mix of say
DOS executables and GNU/Linux binaries ... it can be problematic.
Something to add in the long list of 2.x pool requests?

But is that a high runner case?  Are we putting flexibility where
there is no need?

Double personalities will produce psychotic behaviour 8-).
We have this all over CDT;
Parser:  C vs C++
Builder:  Debug vs Release

etc ..

> don't think we really handle that situation today (at least not in a user
> friendly way).  Having said that (...) I don't see why we can't detect the
> type of binary by just looking at it.  Most binary formats I know of have
> some magic bits at the beginning to tell you what it is (or am I wrong?
> It's certainly true with PE).

It is more then that, Binary Parser can do much more: make a distinction
between shared libraries, object, executables, archives, core. We could parse binaries
to find symbol, line numbers etc ....  The entire framework is not in place
yet to make good use of it, 2.x material.

For PE, unfortunately, things are not moving much.  It is not a format that
we work on everyday.

Back to the top