Re: [cdt-debug-dev] About working with memory in debugger

> Yes, sorry if my tone was a bit upset, I realized just today that my
> mail didn't get out (I was travelling and had a bad connection). No
> wonder nobody aknowledged my first post. :-(

The mailing lists are also archive
	http://www.eclipse.org/mail/
A patch was sent here :
 http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cdt-patch/msg00150.html

way back, but since, cdt-patch is high volume list, I assume it went
unnoticed.

>  >
>  >   Of course this is why having the source is so valuable ... since
>  > you can just dive into the CDT MI layer and check out the command
>  > which is being transmitted.
>  >

> Yes. I think there were thoughts of implementing memory read and
> writes using varobj objects, but I don't remember the details, it was
> a long time back.  I would be interested in any bugs you guys find in
> the current implementation, though.

My 0.0002 cents on the subject:
To have memory part of varobj would be good if it does not suffer
the same drawbacks as arrays, -var-list-children of "char buffer[4096]"
will return 4K children with all the MI verbiage it is less then optimal when you
are debugging over the wire, especially if you have to query every child to find the value.

Memory and arrays could use the notion of range, where one can ask
for a range 1-10, 200-400 etc ..

Back to the top