Re: [cdt-debug-dev] gdb and MI

> Thanks Tom, we have also been doing our homework to ensure we are working
> with current information.   It does look like there should be some benefits
> from MI, e.g.
> separating the data, error, and program output streams would definitely
> help.
>
> What spooked us originally about CLI compatibility was statements
> like this one from the MI chapter of the GDB Users manual
> (http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_24.html)
> talking about CLI support:
>
>      This mechanism is provided as an aid to
>      developers of GDB/MI clients and not as
>      a reliable interface into the CLI.
>      Since the command is being interpreteted
>      in an environment that assumes GDB/MI
>      behaviour, the exact output of such commands
>      is likely to end up being an un-supported hybrid
>      of GDB/MI and CLI output.
>
> We're not really sure what this means, but we do notice that
> a CLI command in MI mode sometimes produces CLI output
> (e.g. "info locals"), sometimes MI output ("info stack"),
> and sometimes a little of both ("info frame").   It isn't clear how
> to provide a reliable CLI in our console window under these
> conditions.
>
> We plan to finish checking our facts then take our questions
> to a GDB list, and report back what answers we get.

Add things like "list" which contrarely to "info locals" only
returns the MI part but not the console part.  But this is base on information
from 5.0, we have other issues with MI that we hope to relay to GDB when times permit.

I'm certainly interested to see a solid Java Parser engine for MI that can be
reused.

Back to the top