Re: [cdt-debug-dev] gdb and MI

Brian> What spooked us originally about CLI compatibility was statements
Brian> like this one from the MI chapter of the GDB Users manual
Brian> (http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_24.html)
Brian> talking about CLI support:
Brian> [ ... ]

I agree, that's definitely off-putting.

Alain> I'm certainly interested to see a solid Java Parser engine for
Alain> MI that can be reused.

Yes.

Due perhaps to synchronicity, I've seen this same CLI/MI issue come up
a few times in different contexts over the last couple weeks.  I
talked to Andrew Cagney and Keith Seitz about it again.

My understanding of the conclusion (which is probably not entirely
accurate) is that basically this is a known problem and the design
here isn't fixed.

Also, apparently Apple encountered this same problem in their IDE and
they have submitted an as-yet unmerged patch which cleans things up.
I believe their patch works by having commands entered in MI mode
print MI-style output, while CLI-type commands print CLI-style output.

This issue definitely should be raised on the gdb list.  That way at
least all the interested parties (5 and counting, I think) can agree
on the plan.

Tom

Back to the top