Re: [cdt-debug-dev] gdb and MI

Thanks Tom, we have also been doing our homework to ensure we are working
with current information.   It does look like there should be some benefits
from MI, e.g.
separating the data, error, and program output streams would definitely
help.

What spooked us originally about CLI compatibility was statements
like this one from the MI chapter of the GDB Users manual
(http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_24.html)
talking about CLI support:

     This mechanism is provided as an aid to
     developers of GDB/MI clients and not as
     a reliable interface into the CLI.
     Since the command is being interpreteted
     in an environment that assumes GDB/MI
     behaviour, the exact output of such commands
     is likely to end up being an un-supported hybrid
     of GDB/MI and CLI output.

We're not really sure what this means, but we do notice that
a CLI command in MI mode sometimes produces CLI output
(e.g. "info locals"), sometimes MI output ("info stack"),
and sometimes a little of both ("info frame").   It isn't clear how
to provide a reliable CLI in our console window under these
conditions.

We plan to finish checking our facts then take our questions
to a GDB list, and report back what answers we get.

Brian Thomson

Back to the top