Re: [cbi-dev] Building and distributing the Eclipse IDE?

If someone has its own build of the Eclipse IDE, can he offer it for download? I heard that only Eclipse.org is allowed to do this.  I think it would be strange if we encourage people to build their own Eclipse IDE but don't allow them to distribute it. In addition AFAIK Fedora ships a custom build as well as Yoxos ships custom Eclipse distributions. Anyone knows the rules about this?

I'm pretty sure anyone is allowed to build and ship or cell his own IDE based on Eclipse or altered versions of some Eclipse project. That's the essence of EPL.

However, the question you have is more related to naming a product "Eclipse" if it's built outside of the Foundation knowledge. I think this document (which I didn't read) gives some hints about how much one is allowed to use the word "Eclipse": http://www.eclipse.org/legal/logo_guidelines.php
I guess the Eclipse Foundation is OK with letting other OSS communities, such as Fedora and other Linux distributions, using the word "Eclipse" for their alternative build of Eclipse since it's a win-win. But in case someone is doing something bad with that name, the Trademark would allow the Foundation to ask people to stop using the word "Eclipse".

My 2c.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat