[buckminster-dev] Re: Dependency Visualization

Johannes,
I tried this and I'm amazed. It looks great and I don't think it needs further improvement at this stage. It's very useful as it is and I'd like to include it in Buckminster. In order to do that, you'd have to submit the code in a bugzilla so that we can get the IP approval process going (a contribution of this size must be scrutinized by the Eclipse EMO). A bugzilla with a proper patch will also give people a chance to voice their opinion about the patch.

Some things to think about before you submit the code:

1. You need to add an 'about.html' file stating that the code is EPL 1.0 to the plug-in (see attachement). 2. The 'about.html' must be included in the binary build of the bundle, i.e. checked on the manifest editor 'Build' tab.
3. You probably want to add a copyright notice to the head of each source file.

How do we package this in Buckminster? Should we add a special 'Dependency Visualization' feature or should we simply include it in the core UI distribution? Opinions welcome.

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Johannes Utzig wrote:
Hi,

I had some time since the last post to work an the visualization and these are the latest changes:

-better path highlighting. so far 3 kinds of relationships are implemented for highlighting:
    -path to direct dependencies of the selected component
    -path to components that directly require the selected component
    -path to root request. (either shortest, or all)
each way of highlighting can be selectively enabled/disabled and is additive to the other selected highlightings

-tooltips on components to reveal some details -sash form between navigation tree and graph viewer
-better resize behavior
-bugfixes
-tidier code base and architecture

Unfortunately something seems to be broken in the Zest zooming support, so that feature didn't make it into the visualization just yet and it's still just registered as a bom editor because I couldn't think of other useful integration points.

Apart from that it I think it's pretty usable already and I'm curious what you want me to add/change/do before you'd consider to accept it as a contribution.

Attached are some updated screenshots to get an impression as well as the exported bundle including source code.

Remarks for the screenshots:
light green = root component (either cquery root, or drilled down)
green = path to root component
orange = direct dependencies
blue = components that directly depend on the selected component
yellow = current selection

Best regards,
Johannes

Title: About

About This Content

June 24, 2009

License

The Eclipse Foundation makes available all content in this plug-in ("Content"). Unless otherwise indicated below, the Content is provided to you under the terms and conditions of the Eclipse Public License Version 1.0 ("EPL"). A copy of the EPL is available at http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html. For purposes of the EPL, "Program" will mean the Content.

If you did not receive this Content directly from the Eclipse Foundation, the Content is being redistributed by another party ("Redistributor") and different terms and conditions may apply to your use of any object code in the Content. Check the Redistributor's license that was provided with the Content. If no such license exists, contact the Redistributor. Unless otherwise indicated below, the terms and conditions of the EPL still apply to any source code in the Content and such source code may be obtained at http://www.eclipse.org.

Back to the top