[buckminster-dev] Re: Dependency Visualization

Hi Thomas, hi Henrik,

comments inline.

Thomas Hallgren schrieb:
Johannes,
I tried this and I'm amazed. It looks great and I don't think it needs further improvement at this stage. It's very useful as it is and I'd like to include it in Buckminster. In order to do that, you'd have to submit the code in a bugzilla so that we can get the IP approval process going (a contribution of this size must be scrutinized by the Eclipse EMO). A bugzilla with a proper patch will also give people a chance to voice their opinion about the patch.

I'm glad that you want to include it, that's great. One dumb question about that: by 'patch' you mean just a copy of the source, right? Or how would I create a patch against a repository where the plugin is not yet checked in?

Some things to think about before you submit the code:

1. You need to add an 'about.html' file stating that the code is EPL 1.0 to the plug-in (see attachement). 2. The 'about.html' must be included in the binary build of the bundle, i.e. checked on the manifest editor 'Build' tab. 3. You probably want to add a copyright notice to the head of each source file.

That's easy enough to do, but before that I should probably put everything in a shape that's acceptable for the buckminster team and the foundation, because once it's commited it would be a lot harder to do stuff like string externalization, api-doc,... because I'd need to provide all that as separate patches, right? Where can I look-up the things like coding guidelines, naming conventions, icon conventions,...?

There's also a really dirty implementation hack that I'd rather not see in a released version, unfortunately I couldn't find another way. I wanted to open the selected component's cspec on double click, but it turned out that you don't export the package that contains the CSpecEditorInput. I worked my way around by subclassing ViewChosenCSpecAction and invoke its run method, but that's really nasty...
Would there be another way to open a cspec, or should it stay like that?

How do we package this in Buckminster? Should we add a special 'Dependency Visualization' feature or should we simply include it in the core UI distribution? Opinions welcome.

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Either way sounds fine to me, but I should point out that I'm pretty much the only person that tested this plugin so far. Bundeling it with the core UI feature could give users the impression that it's a well tested and mature feature, but maybe that's just me.

Henrik Lindberg schrieb:
> I would put it in the buckminster UI unless it is (unexpectantly)
> a) huge or b) there are issues with required bundles.
>
> - henrik

It's definetly not huge and here's a list of the dependencies:

org.eclipse.core.runtime,
org.eclipse.zest.core;bundle-version="1.1.0",
org.eclipse.zest.layouts;bundle-version="1.1.0",
org.eclipse.buckminster.ui;bundle-version="1.0.350",
org.eclipse.core.resources;bundle-version="3.5.0",
org.eclipse.ui;bundle-version="3.5.0",
org.eclipse.ui.forms;bundle-version="3.4.0",
org.eclipse.ui.ide;bundle-version="3.5.0",
org.eclipse.buckminster.core;bundle-version="1.1.350",
org.eclipse.buckminster.sax;bundle-version="1.0.0",
org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core;bundle-version="1.0.100"

Until I hear more from you I'll add some java-doc, comments, do some code formatting, see if I can paint some better icons (I suck at that :)), externalize the strings, add the copyright statement and the licence.

Thank you very much for your help and best regards,
Johannes

Back to the top