Re: [buckminster-dev] Making Buckminster understand SVN branching

Mikhail Kadan wrote:
Hi.

    Not sure what you mean by automatically here. Buckminster cannot
    guess what branches you have in mind and in what order they should
    be searched. You must specify this somewhere. You don't need to do
    it once for each component of course. You can create an advisory
    node that matches all components using the pattern '.*'.

By "automatically" I mean that it may be some naming convention for branches to "mark" them for Buckminster to search.

For example, let's assume I have three branches for plA:

R1.0.x
R1.1.x
testNewAPI

If there is a naming convention saying "all branches that apply to pattern RX.Y.x, where X and Y are numbers, must be included automatically into search path", so the branches "R1.0.x" and "R1.1.x" (as they follow this naming convention) will be included in search automatically, and branch "testNewAPI" must be included manually.

Aha, yes. Buckminster can do branch/tag name to version conversion. I.e. it can extract the component version from a branch or tag name rather then from the meta-data of the component. You can create a provider that uses a <versionConverter> element. It uses two regexp substitutions, one to translate the branch to a version and one to do the opposite. Buckminster will then make an attempt to find the highest version. When this scheme is used, you don't use the branch/tag path and you don't use the trunk.

You can find more information here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Buckminster_component_meta-data_language_%28Reference%29_-_LATEST#VersionConverter_component

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Back to the top