Re: [buckminster-dev] Action output?

All actions should run in their own 'compartment' in which they supposedly know the semantics of all the props they get. If two components start using the prop name 'data' for two completely different purposes things would break very badly. How do you propose that should work?

It's just a matter of defining the priorities. You have

System properties (i.e. command line settings)
Inherited properties (inherited when actions are invoked transitively)
Action properties (set by the action)

My suggestion would be to have the priority as listed above. Highest first.

It isn't related to priorities (BTW, 'inherited props'? I'm not sure what you exactly refer to as we haven't talked about that before, but it sounds intriguing - please amplify, but let's hash out the problem at hand first).

I have action A. It depends on action B which in turn depends on action C. Actions B and C are in different components (in another component which I have no option to change, really). Action B and C reside in two different components from two different vendors, neither of which I can change.

In B's documentation it states: to make B do <cool_b_stuff>, you need to pass in a property named 'coolselector' containing the string 'cool_b_stuff'.

In A's documentation it states: to make A do <cool_a_stuff>, you need to pass in a property named 'coolselector' containing the string 'cool_a_stuff'.

How do I simultaneously select both cool_b_stuff and cool_a_stuff in one single perform invocation with A as the top component?

ken1

Back to the top