[buckminster-dev] Action output?

A component consists of various artifacts. Some will be present in the component when it materializes and others can be built by actions defined in the component cspec. The former will of course always be relative to the component root but that's a limitation that would be too limiting for action output since our actions are very generic. Their product might be a deployment of some kind. It doesn't feel right if that deployment must be contained within the component from where it is created.

It might be desirable to sometimes provide some kind of generic output root directory to the build process and then let the Action output be relative to that rather then to the component root. The root that I have in mind is local to the site where the build executes so there's no way it can be declared in the cspec.

Let's for instance assume that you want your build to automatically end up in a structure that is a valid update site. A build.feature action could then assume that it's output should be put in <output root>/features and a build.plugin action would use the corresponding <output root>/plugins.

Question is, where do we set this <output root>? Should it be set once for the whole workspace? Or perhaps a default for the workspace and then have an option to override for each action? Should we then override just when actions are invoked or should the override be made persistent (an action <-> output root map) so that transitive invocations can be mapped on the fly?

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Back to the top