Re: [buckminster-dev] Naming of components that are not projects

Hi Knut,
Your suggestion to use a .buckminster directory sounds good. I think we will use <wsroot>/.buckminster/externalComponents. Some more answers inline.

Knut Wannheden wrote:

When you say that the meta-data for the artifacts are stored in the
workspace, I assume that you mean that they're stored in the
workspace's metadata (the .metadata folder). Is that correct?

Yes, it's stored under .metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.buckminster.core/...

And what's the reason for storing the meta-data in the workspace and not
with the artifacts
The meta-data that we store is not something that you'd like to check-in with your component. It reflects how Buckminster obtained the components from some remote source and optionally bound them to your workspace. It also contains information about how component dependencies where resolved and some of the data span several components.

Another reason is that we want to avoid exposing the meta-data to the user. Much of it will be made visible by other means (wizards, viewers, etc.).

I know that Ivy (http://www.jayasoft.org/ivy) will download required
artifacts into a cache. This cache is a folder (.ivy-cache) in the
user's home directory. Meta-data about the artifacts are also stored
in this cache.
I don't think that would be a good solution for us since most of the components that Buckminster will download will manifest themselves as projects in the workspace.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Back to the top