Re: [buckminster-dev] Naming of components that are not projects

Hi,

On 8/30/05, Thomas Hallgren <thhal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When Buckminster materializes needed components, some of them will not
> map to Eclipse projects. This is particularly true for pre-compiled
> binaries. Buckminster needs a place to store such artifacts on the local
> file system since projects will express references to them in classpaths
> etc.
>
> The meta-data for the artifacts are always stored in the workspace,
> hence it's not advisable to share the artifact locations between
> different workspaces. In order to do that, Buckminster would need to
> have a global meta-data repository (might be something to think more
> about for the future). So storing the artifacts somewhere relative to
> the workspace sounds like a good idea.

When you say that the meta-data for the artifacts are stored in the
workspace, I assume that you mean that they're stored in the
workspace's metadata (the .metadata folder). Is that correct? And
what's the reason for storing the meta-data in the workspace and not
with the artifacts?

I know that Ivy (http://www.jayasoft.org/ivy) will download required
artifacts into a cache. This cache is a folder (.ivy-cache) in the
user's home directory. Meta-data about the artifacts are also stored
in this cache.

> There's a danger of colliding with projects that reside physically in
> the workspace root.  In order to minimize such collisions, all
> "non-projects" should reside below one single directory. What should
> this directory be called by default? It should of course also be
> settable using a preference.
>
> Suggestions:
> - nonProjects
> - externalComponents
> - ...
>
> Ideas, suggestions?

I know that the EMF JET engine (see http://tinyurl.com/c978m) also
stores derived "intermediate" data in the workspace. It does this in a
project called ".JETEmitters". A leading dot is probably a good way to
avoid collision. I think that "Buckminster" should also be part of the
directory name.

Cheers,

--knut

Back to the top