Re: [birt-dev] New BIRT Logo

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your efforts.

I am curious to see which designs will be submitted. We will see. J

I am also curious about the outcome of the election.

Please allow me to point out that I have been doing the job in graphic design and everything related to it for 35 years. A nice logo design is not everything. It includes a design concept for the complete brand, website, etc. Usually you develop a brand concept first and derive a design concept from that and then again a figurative mark... You try it in reverse order. Furthermore, I would like to note that competitions in the creative field often produce winners, but their designs are not realized. This has very different practical reasons.

Regarding the voters list, I think that the BIRT mailing list is a good choice. Since there is no concept in writing, only people who already have experience with BIRT and its users and thus an approximate idea of a possible brand should be able to vote, although I have a bad feeling about the procedure from experience.

I would like to give an example: The RFP describes technology as the target industry. That is correct with respect to Eclipse and software development. It is wrong with respect to users. In my view, BIRT only has a chance if users find BIRT great and not just software developers. In this respect, the logo should be aimed at software developers as well as users. Users include both users of BIRT in the sense of reporter creators, as well as report users. Users are clearly more design sensitive than software developers, which have a more technical tastes, etc.

I could write for kilometers and miles about what all has to go into a design besides "it's pretty".

In any case, I'm curious if this way is target-oriented and if something usable will come out.

If my design wins the USD 499,-- I will donate it to Eclipse, because I work for BIRT and Eclipse for free.

Once again thank you.

Best

Christophe