Re: [birt-dev] BIRT Reboot - Some questions and remarks

See comment below...

Henning von Bargen <H.vonBargen@xxxxxxx> schrieb am Mo., 22. März 2021, 16:36:
Regarding the Windows binary and Christophe's web site:

Nobody will find the binary download unless it is linked to from the web site.
For the web site, we should not wait too long to publish it.
Perhaps it should just be mentioned in a prominent place on the web-site that the reboot is in-progress and that the new web-site is not yet finished.
That way visitors would see that there is something going on.

Regarding "Replacing iText with OpenPDF."

> Can you contact them and see if they want to contribute?

He seemed not very interested when I contacted him two weeks ago and asked him if we could just talk a bit about BIRT.
It could help if one of the more prominent members would contact him.

Personally, I think the task is more of a configuration task than a programming task, but I couldn't do this myself.
All these configuration files (pom.xml) is beyond my knowledge.
I know Java but not today's complex build processes (I stopped actively developing Java when Ant was state of the art).
So I can fix a bug here and there, but I cannot replace  a library.

I'd say maven is way simpler than ant 😉. Apart from that (could give a longer discussion), the dependencies of BIRT are not managed by maven. They are declared in the plugin metadata and come from various p2 repositories.

Henning