Re: [birt-dev] First light

This is awesome. I remember when I ran into issues, it had something to do with the ordering of how things were downloaded from Maven, and Orbit had to be the first thing, otherwise the build ended up with issues like the viewer not working, and certain dialogs being broken. I'd be curious to know how you fixed it. I'll download it a little later on and check it out. This is great news.

Sorry I have been a little light on commenting. We're still working on the big on getting me into the approver system. But once that is done, there are a few areas I'd like to discuss with the group at large.

  1. Getting the community back: I'd like us to go forward with the "We're Back" message ("BIRT Is Back, Baby!!"???), and to petition some more committers to get involved with the project.
  2. Once I can commit again, I have several contributions I'd like to finally add into the project that I've sat on to keep in my toolkit, but I think it's time to bring them to the community at large. These include an XML emitter, a JPEG emitter, and a JSON emitter. With that I do have a few other projects I'd like to try to introduce, and see if we can't grow them out, such as:
    1. The BIRT Simple Domain Language: This was an initial grammer and implementation of a "SQL" like language that would dynamically build and execute BIRT reports. So with a statement like:
      create (and run) (report/library/template)
      (using library (library)) (based on template (template))
      with (SQL "select * from customers")
      (group (and aggregate on column) on column)
      (save as (emitter id))

      That was the "gist" of it. The grammer might have been a little different since it's been several years since I've looked at it. But it worked really well as both a standalone language and a designer plugin that would automatically create report designs. It was based on another API I had written called the BSD, or BIRT Simplified Design API. This had a lot of applications, such as the simple scripting from CLI's for reports without needing the designer, quick uptimes, dynamic report creation when you had a SQL statement you needed a report to dynamically build columns for, and a few other things.

      What do you think, any interest into introducing this into the project?

    2. A few add-on tools I had written, such as the style stripper, which would recursively remove all styles from a report design (useful when you have to "troubleshoot" someones report design), the RPTDOCUMENT Data Source Troubleshooting tool, which would take a RPTDOCUMENT from a report, extract the original report design, and clone each of the report data sources with the executed version stored in the RPTDOCUMENT. Also useful for troubleshooting.

      Again, any interest in introducing these things into the tool?
  3. Long term I'd like to look at enhacements, once we get the bugs addressed. The top two are:
    1. Improved generation lifecycle enhancements
    2. Introducing new emitters, in particular a HTML5/CSS framework for better report integration and to replace the aging HTML2 model we have now.

      Any thoughts?

-John