Re: [babel-dev] MySQL "failure" setting up babel environment

Matt,

That is very unfortunate and somewhat unavoidable. As far as I know we are using the same scheme for passwords that Bugzilla uses. So changing how Babel stores the user passwords away from the MySQL encrypt command probably isn't an option. It might be worth looking into how Bugzilla handles being installed on Windows (assuming they do).

To remedy the situation for local testing and developing on Windows we might want to define a constant like WINDOWS_ENVIRONMENT. When WINDOWS_ENVIRONMENT is set to true use a different set of MySQL queries that use the PHP MD5 command or something else like that to obfuscate the password for storing in the database.

gO'

Matthew Mazaika wrote:

Delving deeper into the problem... here is the actual problem with the ENCRYPT mysql function:

"If crypt() is not available on your system (as is the case with Windows), _ENCRYPT()_ <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/encryption-functions.html#function_encrypt> always returns NULL."

from: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/encryption-functions.html#function_encrypt

This is a major bug that will really prohibit development from windows based systems.

--------------------------
Matthew Mazaika
IBM Eclipse
1.919.254.6224
Inactive hide details for Matthew Mazaika/Durham/IBM@IBMUSMatthew Mazaika/Durham/IBM@IBMUS

                        *Matthew Mazaika/Durham/IBM@IBMUS*
                        Sent by: babel-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

                        07/23/2008 03:43 PM
                        Please respond to
                        Babel committers mailing list
                        <babel-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

Re: [babel-dev] MySQL "failure" setting up babel environment

I found the problem!!!

After doing some debugging, I removed the "password_hash" from the equation, and just authenticated using the plaintext password and it worked!

Has there been a change in the password hashing function? If so, can we get a new has for "password"?