Re: [babel-dev] The state of the Babel Server Version 0

Thanks Gabe! That's a very good start! We are one step closer to release 1!

Let me be the first one to complain :-) ... so my name can be in the history book :-)

First, all "build.properties" files should NOT be translated. There are other properties files that should not be translated too. We need a system to indicate these files. I call that the "exclude list".

Second, as I've explained to Bjorn before, there are individual strings in properties files that should NOT be translated. One example is the " hook.configurators" key in "org.eclipse.osgi/hookconfigurators.properties". This may not be a perfect example since it's pretty obvious that we should not touch those path names. But, if we touch this string for any reasons (maybe reformat or by mistake), Eclipse will not start! I suggest to use a pair of special block comment to enclose strings that should not be translated. Then when the server code sees this special block comment, we may disable translating of the string.

Regards,
Kit Lo
IBM Eclipse SDK Globalization Technical Lead

"Gabe O'Brien" <gabe.obrien@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: babel-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/24/2008 11:36 AM

Please respond to
Babel committers mailing list <babel-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

babel-dev <babel-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[babel-dev] The state of the Babel Server Version 0

Hello Bablers,

   So we are closing in on release 0 of the Babel server code.  This
release will be far from perfect but it will perform the basic task:
importing strings to translate from MAP files, translating strings into
one of many languages, and exporting those translations.  At the moment
all of these pieces are working but are far from being finished.

  The goal is to kick this project into high gear by having something
in place the people can both use to translate and complain about.  With
use we will see progress on the main goal of this project,
translations.  And with complaints we will get closer and close to
having a tool that we are proud of and is useful.

   At this point the key things we need to do are have a place to put
Denis map files until the portal get updated to handle this
information.  I have a few tweaks to the text on the landing page and a
quick fix to the two button on the translate area (updating a single
version of a translation or updating all version with the same
translation).  And Bjorn needs some more translations on the staging
server to test he output script.

   With any luck we will be able to have version 0 up by early next
week.  All other features will have to wait for incremental updates.
Things like voting on translations, copyright messages in the output,
better UI.  I suggest once we go live people start opening bugs and
voting up/down on features so we can gauge what everyone wants.

gO'

OVERVIEW OF VERSION 0 TASKS:

INPUT (Denis):
  - need a place to put input the location of map files (until we can
get the portal to handle this)
EDIT (Gabe):
   - polish text on landing page
   - fix translate button so you can translation for a specific version
only
OUTPUT (Bjorn):
   working on output format #1 (from the wiki :
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Babel_/_Server_Tool_Specification)
   -generating all the file
      -doesn't pack into fragments and features