Re: [aspectj-users] List of main users

Being an open-source project, with no contract to sign or purchase to be
made it is actually surprisingly difficult to keep track of who is doing
what with AspectJ.  IBM has recently been vocal in its support for AspectJ
(see some of the links under "What's New" on the AspectJ home page - there
have been a number of additional reports since then too).

By trawling the aspectj-users list you can get a flavour of what's going
on, but I would dearly love to collect more stories that could be shared
with other AspectJ users. So here's a request :- if you have used, are
using, or are thinking of using AspectJ in a project, and you're prepared
to talk about that publically (even if its in anonymous terms, e.g. "we
are a company in the financial services sector...") it would great if you
could post a short message to the list saying what you are doing and how
it is going.  I'm also interested to hear from people using AspectJ with
other technologies (e.g. I know we have users working with Tomcat, JBoss,
WebLogic, WebSphere, Hibernate, ...) - so if you've got AspectJ working in
combination with another tool, server etc.. it would be great if you could
post about that too.

Let me kick off by saying what I can about IBM's involvement with AspectJ:

IBM is investing in AspectJ and the AspectJ Development Tools projects (we
have a funded team here in Hursley, UK, which I lead) and is contributing
to their development. Danny Sabbah, IBM VP gave a keynote at the AOSD 2004
conference and stated that "AOSD is vital to our [IBM Software Group's]
survival"
(http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=976271&coll=portal&dl=ACM&CFID=22135647&CFTOKEN=53957682).
 He also gave examples of some IBM products that are planning to
incorporate aspects in their development. We have previously reported on
some of the studies that we undertook which gave us the confidence to go
ahead with AspectJ (see for example
http://hugunin.net/papers/pra03-colyer.pdf, an OOPSLA 2003 practioner
report based on work done through 2002 and 2003, and also
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=976279&coll=portal&dl=ACM&CFID=22135647&CFTOKEN=53957682,
which reports on a more substantive piece of work also done in 2003).

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

TIC spam <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
01/06/2004 03:21
Please respond to
aspectj-users

aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[aspectj-users] List of main users

As all of you know, companies do not like to pionneer in new
technologies... It just does not pass the Risk Management step.

So, it would be interesting to know which major projects/companies are
using Aspectj or more generally AOP. Does such kind of list exist?

Thanks!

Thierry