Re: [aspectj-users] Aspectj discussion

(Sorry, accidental send.  To continue...)

The AspectJ project does not work on hot-redeploy of classes in VM's.
It's certainly possible to create a weaving class loader, to weave when
or in different parts of the VM namespace, but I suspect that's not
what you're after.

Another approach is to implement joined behavior that varies at runtime,
e.g., traces that don't trace unless tracing is enabled.  (See the venerable
spacewar example for that.)  Before I started grappling with hot-swapping,
I'd try to implement it this way.

As for reusable aspects and aspect patterns, they have been discussed
by the AspectJ community, so it's worthwhile searching the mail archives.

AspectJ supports some reusability, as described in the programming
guide and tutorials, and more is in the works - see the 1.1 design
email discussions, esp. wrt extensible pointcuts and type patterns or scopes.

As for aspect patterns, look to the idioms in the programming guide
and for Hanneman's work rending the GoF patterns in AspectJ:
  http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~jan/AODPs

A good way to discuss either is to put forward some AspectJ code
as a good or bad example.

Wes