RE: [aspectj-users] Aspectj discussion

Dynamic aspects like this is a relatively new space of exploration.
There are a number of projects looking at it.  As far as I know, the
system that is most AspectJ-like and that also supports dynamic aspects
and dynamic deployment is Caesar:

  http://www.st.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/pages/projects/caesar/redirect.jsp

In the design of AspectJ we focused on static aspect bindings, to get
efficiency and type safety.  For the kinds of example programs we had
in mind when designing the language, the use of normal Java conditionals
(if statement) or the if pointcut gave us enough dynamicity.

But clearly demand for dynamic aspect loading and unloading seems to be
growing.  I still think that many of those cases can be handled fairly
well using an if statement as the first line of AspectJ style advice bodies.
But it seems that down the road explicit support for dynamic aspects is
something users are going to demand in AOP languages and tools.