Re: [aspectj-dev] Providing patches etc

> Just out of interest, how many developers are working on AspectJ?  I
> know the AspectWorkz team are being brought into the fold, but what's
> the rough number?

With the addition of Jonas and Alex, AspectJ will have 7 core committers.

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

Kev Jackson <kevin.jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
24/01/2005 08:55
Please respond to
aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject

Andrew Clement wrote:

> Hi Kev,
>
> We are more than happy to have people work with us on AspectJ and
> contribute
> patches/etc.

Excellent

> You are right about the format for patches and they must be attached
> to relevant bugzilla reports.  I think most bugs are currently
> owned by myself, Adrian or Mik - but that is simply because we haven't
> got a general ID against which can own them (we ought to set that
> up...) -
> but if they haven't been accepted by the developer, that effectively
> means they aren't being worked on.

Ok, so looking at the bugzilla list, practically everything is being
worked on!

> Patches usually have to address an existing bug testcase or come with a
> new test.  We use a couple of harnesses in AspectJ but basically
> everything runs as a variant of JUnit now.  We have a very basic
> 'unit/functional' tests but nowadays most new tests are
> practically system-tests since they all invoke the compiler against
> some source and run the result - look at something like
> Ajc150TestsNoHarness.java which shows how we use our ajcTestCase()
> support.

Ok I'll have a look

> Also, we won't put anything into the codebase unless it passes the
> RunTheseBeforeYouCommitTests in the run-all-junit-tests project - this
> executes all ~1450 tests currently written for AspectJ.  The build
> machine will later run these on Java1.3 and Java1.4 (and shortly
> Java1.5).
>
> Is there a particular area you want to look at - I could send a bug or
> two your way if you like? theres more than enough to go round :)

As I'm new to the code, I'd like to do what I did when I first started
with Ant.  Namely to look at the source and just tidy up the code (add
javadoc comments, run PMD against it and slightly refactor).  Are there
any style guidelines for submitted code?  I noticed some "_variables"
kicking around, these are removed whenever they're found in the Ant
code, does this seem valuable to you guys or not?

Any bugs you wnat to hand out I'll have a look at, but as I say I'm only
just starting to look at the code now, so don't expect a fix any time
soon!

Also I'll be doing my work on WindowsXP Java5 (1.5.0.b64) and MacOSX
Java 1.4.2 (if I can get the source tree downloaded at home...)

Just out of interest, how many developers are working on AspectJ?  I
know the AspectWorkz team are being brought into the fold, but what's
the rough number?

Kev