Re: [aspectj-dev] org.aspectj.abc

Firstly, thanks for the work that the groups are doing - besides building
some new optimisations etc. that will hopefully make their way into the
AspectJ distribution in time, the bug reports and clarification requests
are already helping to improve the quality of AspectJ.

On the question of package names, I'll give you an 'official' answer and a
pragmatic answer.

The pragmatic answer is that it seems unlikely to me that the AspectJ team
will create a package named "org.aspectj.abc", so the risk of a collision
if you use this name is low.

The 'official' answer is that I don't want to get into the game of leasing
sub-parts of the org.aspectj domain. Traditionally package names follow
internet domain names and imply ownership & authorship of the code by that
organisation - so "org.aspectj..*" means code written by the aspectj
project. In this situation this would not be the case. So for these two
reasons, and especially if you intend to publish the package for
consumption outside of your group, I'd prefer it if you used a package
name beginning e.g. ac.ox.aspectj.abc... (or ca.mcgill.aspectj.abc..) - I
see your dilemma ;).

Regards, Adrian.

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

Oege de Moor <Oege.de.Moor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
20/08/2004 10:40
Please respond to
aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[aspectj-dev] org.aspectj.abc

The Programming Tools Group at Oxford and the Sable research team at
McGill are building a compiler for AspectJ. It's intended as
a workbench for experimenting with new features and optimisations;
the base compiler aims to implement the same language as ajc,
as defined by the test suite in ajcTests.xml.

The compiler is named the "AspectBench Compiler", or "abc" for
short.

Some of our optimisations require new internal runtime classes,
and we'd like to put these in packages under "org.aspectj.abc".
Might it be possible to reserve this name?

On behalf of the abc team,

Oege de Moor
Professor of Computer Science
University of Oxford