Re: [aspectj-dev] AspectJ 1.1.1rc1 - Preview Build 1

George Harley1 wrote:
<snip>

2. In the installer application the default install location on Windows is hard set to c:\aspectj1.1 and on Linux to $HOME/aspectj1.1. Assuming that we want to version number to track with the values set for each build I wonder if we should use the Ant "replace" task to set the version in $installer$.org.aspectj/Main.java with one of the values out of build-properties.xml (like build.version.base) prior to compiling ?

In the past we've thought the best default to be overwriting the latest
major release, with the idea that that's what most people should be
doing.  This is perhaps not the best for preview releases, however.
(btw, it's not an issue for us; we use the -to {dir} argument.)

Right now the path is hard-coded in Main.java that is built into the
manually-bootstrapped build.jar which is the source for the installer
classes, so the fix you suggested wouldn't work -- we'd have to
also update the build.jar.  An easier approach might be to change
the installer to use a resource that's modified and included at
build time by org.aspectj.internal.tools.ant.taskdefs.AJInstaller.

If someone opens the installer issue, we could probably also be
smarter about the default location, e.g., by scanning to see if
the current directory is in or near a previous install to
suggest overwriting or renaming/replacing it.

Wes

Back to the top