From: alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Richard Title
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 3:32 PM
To: 'ALF Developer Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [alf-dev] RE: ALF Source Code Mangement
VocabularyMeeting+1-303-928-3232 id 6053141# Wednesday 10:00AM PDT
-meeting minutes

> We ran out of time at the end to discuss some of these, but Brian
Carroll
> included managing metadata as a possible use case.  I could see
Subversion

> users potentially wanting this feature as metadata can be used for a
> variety of purposes.  In Subversion metadata is associated with a file
or
> folder and can be essentially anything including binary content, such
as
> thumbnail image for a JPEG.

Agreed. I had in mind use case 7 (create new version of Element) as
potentially covering changes in the data (i.e. the file-content), and/or
changes in the metadata (a.k.a. properties, a.k.a. attributes) of the
Element. Metadata could include filename, parent directory, modification
time, owner, permissions, file-type, thumbnail-image, etc. See Concepts,
item 2 (File & Directory concepts).

The part that can get thorny is namespace-handling. Is renaming a
element an
operation on the element itself (as AccuRev does), or on the directory
containing it (as ClearCase does)? Is moving a file to a new directory
an
operation on the element being moved (AccuRev), or on the parent
directories
involved (ClearCase)? What's Subversion's model?

Richard