Re: [ajdt-dev] ajde updates

Picked up the new jars this afternoon and have a working version built from them.

> * I couldn't get BuildConfigurationTests.testEmptyWarnings and commented it
> out--it seems to be dependent on it's previous run (Adrian?).

I'll take a look.. have to confess these tests are in somewhat of a state of disrepair. It was too painful to run them. Discovered the excellent org.eclipse.pde.junit plugin this week though that makes it bearable again... so we should resume TFP as we refactor from now  on.

> * I changed the org.aspectj.ajdt and org.aspectj.ajde projects not to depend
> on Eclipse projects, but rather extend the ECLIPSE_HOME variable and depend
> on JARs.  I believe that this makes it easier for people to get started
> without needing to install all of the dependencies as projects.  Let me know
> if this causes problems.

I changed them back again! (Actually, before I realised what you'd done). But, the key reason for having them as project dependencies is that this format works across all Eclipse versions, whereas the extended ECLIPSE_HOME route hardwires the version number, This is important since **STOP PRESS** I checked into CVS today an update to the plugin that works on both Eclipse 2.0.2 *and* 2.1. The work mostly involved tidying up warnings, plus some nastiness in the new aspect wizard where we use some internal APIs... hard to do some method overriding, runtime version testing and reflective method invocation, but now have version that works and compiles under both environments. This means that so far we don't need to split the dev streams to support multiple releases :-).

Status of plugin under 2.1 is as follows: editor, outline, wizards etc. all seem to work. Build button has disappeared from icon bar (don't know why yet). Haven't tested visualiser... more likely to be broken by AJ 1.1 than Eclipse 2.1 though. Think we may need a launcher that adds aspectjrt.jar to front of classpath automagically.

Also: the update site structure created by the build scripts did not install for me under 2.1 (dropped the plugins into the plugin dir by hand in the end) - need to look into that, will be some minor format change  in the xml files no doubt.

I took the brave step of installing the plugins in an M5 build, converting a Plugin Development Project to an AspectJ one, and adding aspects to my plugin. To my amazement this works! The AJBuilder slots in iinstead of the Java one, and the PDE build steps continue uninterrupted. Plugin launches and runs perfectly :-).

--Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

"Mik Kersten" <mik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ajdt-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx