Re: [aether-dev] Aether@Eclipse

Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

link added in Wiki, in the Contributor Guide page

I'm a little worried about the manually duplicated information on that page. Duplicating metadata like that bears the danger of things getting out-dated in one place and causing more confusion than help. Eclipse projects are expected to maintain their metadata like source repos, mailing lists etc. via the portal tooling. The auto-generated index web page is produced from that metadata and provides already a nice entry to the project's community.

So instead of going down this road of duplicating info, I suggest to contact Wayne Beaton first and check with him what you think is missing in the current project info page and what can be improved in the portal tooling to add that.

In my view, all interesting URLs and metadata about the project should ideally be tracked in the portal system and included on the auto-generated homepage. I would like to avoid maintaining actual contents on the CVS-based site and limit its use to the generated homepage with a collection of interesting URLs and maybe hosting generated javadocs if we don't find a better place for those. And have the wiki for in-depth documentation about Aether itself and community processes around it, easily editable by any committer via a browser.

Is there a mentor we can ask for help?

The mentors for Aether are listed on http://www.eclipse.org/aether. Not sure though whether this is the kind of mentor you had in mind. Maybe there's even some other infra-related mailing for such questions, dunno. The Jetty folks might also be good contacts to ask about Javadoc publishing.

Benjamin

Back to the top