Re: [tracecompass-dev] Order of trace records for input to Trace Compass

Hi David,

Events in a single trace are expected to be chronologically ordered. If they are not, you will still be able to view the trace but many things will not work properly (seeking, time synchronization, state systems, etc.).

If you keep the trace files separate, each being ordered, you can add all those traces in an experiment. Then if you open the experiment, it will automatically order all events from the contained traces chronologically.

There is also the option for you to programmatically order your trace by creating a separate sorted internal file, and use that instead of the source trace file. That is usually done by overloading the method initTrace() in your trace implementation. You have to worry about your sorting implementation not loading the whole trace in memory, if it can be very large.

Patrick