Re: [science-iwg] Eclipse vs. GitHub Code Hosting

Philip,

I agree with everything Jonah wrote. Overall it has been a good experience for us.

Jay

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 8:47 AM, Philip Wenig <philip.wenig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Matt, hi Jonah,

thanks for your insights :-).

Best,
Philip

Am 28.11.2016 um 10:42 schrieb Matt.Gerring@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
Hi Philip,

We use gerrit/Jenkins/Buckminster (locally hosted) for our main build and github/Travis/Tycho (github+travis) for some of the open source projects, two of which are eclipse ones.

There is not much to choose between them functionally. The remote solution has been more volatile in terms of speed, in the morning it is much faster and the afternoon much slower.

It seems github has cleaned up on the hosted repositories scene recently. It is the way the industry has gone. This of course means that new computer graduates will be recommending something else and funky and those about to retire will be complaining about how it used to be in the good old days of [insert trusted old repository here]... I say this from the point of view of someone that has only just learned to rebase.

All the best,

Matt