[science-iwg] Processing geometry files from grammars in EAVP

Ted,

I wanted to follow up with you about the work that we are doing in EAVP to process 3D geometries using Xtext and how this might tie into HDF5. I have CC'ed the Science Working Group since there is a lot of interest in this subject there.

We are using Xtext to process our grammars in EBNF to generate code. You can find out more about Xtext here: https://eclipse.org/Xtext/ . It is a very nice framework for processing text, but it doesn't handle binary at all. You can also find the grammars that we are using for STL, OBJ and IGES here:

https://github.com/eclipse/eavp/blob/next/org.eclipse.january.geometry/src/xtext/STL.xtext

https://github.com/eclipse/eavp/blob/next/org.eclipse.january.geometry.xtext.obj/src/org/eclipse/january/geometry/xtext/OBJ.xtext

https://github.com/eclipse/eavp/blob/next/org.eclipse.january.geometry.xtext.mtl/src/org/eclipse/january/geometry/xtext/MTL.xtext

https://github.com/eclipse/eavp/blob/next/org.eclipse.january.geometry.xtext.iges/src/org/eclipse/january/geometry/xtext/IGES.xtext

We are in the process of writing a paper on this, so more details will be available in the future. What I think would be very interesting would be to add binary support to Xtext that was based on HDF5 instead of ASCII. Xtext is backed by something called the Eclipse Modeling Framework (https://www.eclipse.org/emf) which has extensive mechanisms for processing input and output. Some folks have extended it to work with databases instead of text. So I imagine that working support in for binary would probably be easy enough.

Best,
Jay

--
Jay Jay Billings