Re: [science-iwg] java <-> python service bridge

Hi Jonah,

On 7/18/2016 1:05 PM, Jonah Graham wrote:
My general feeling is that implementing all script services + modules
as 1st class OSGi services would be a great move. For Python and
others, using ECF to wire them up would be great.

As for the location of this, it seems that ECF is the logic choice for
hosting the transport and the wiring up at the java level. However I
think EASE is a logical place to host the process launching, remove
service creation, etc.

I generally agree.

As it is now, the distribution provider's are intentionally small...i.e. Java side: ECF RSA and Py4j, and on Python side just Py4j. I would like to keep things that way, as it allows both sides to be used in multiple environments (e.g. ECF RSA and dist providers can be used in OSGi servers like Karaf, Websphere, etc in addition to Eclipse and even in Java-only/no OSGi environments).

Therefore it would be best if the process launching and Python<->Java gateway setup could have minimal dependencies as well...i.e. not direct or indirect to Eclipse IDE or even other bundles.

Scott

Back to the top