Re: [science-iwg] Vote on TLP

That sounds like a good plan :-).

Am 01.07.2016 um 03:22 schrieb Jay Jay Billings:

Everyone,

I'm very glad to see that we are still having this discussion. As I've said many times, and as we've seen several in this conversation reiterate, LGPL is a critical license for scientific software. If we ever plan to be a serious group in that respect, then we must work to accept LGPL licensed software. We - the scientists on this list - know that is a fact, and must work to communicate it to the rest of the community.

Greg Watson and I had a brainstorming session on Tuesday. We would like to propose the following course of action:
1.) We - the group - will write a letter to the board and distribute it to as many board members as we can to educate them about this issue and seek their support. We should engage other working groups too.
2.) Each of us that supports this will pick an LGPL library that would be an important prerequisite for our project(s), by which I mean as a provider of critical and unique capability, and submit it for a CQ. A decent collection of these that will require direct board approval because of their uniqueness and importance will help the board understand the situation.
3.) Spread the news far and wide in the community that we want this.

If these steps don't work, then we will have the data we need to consider our next steps. While this will take time, it is probably the best approach.

As always, your thoughts are most welcome!

Jay

On Jun 30, 2016 11:44 AM, "Mike Milinkovich" <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I do hope that the Science group follows my advice and requests help from the elected Board reps to bring forward their concerns about the LGPL policy. I'm not saying that the status quo is impossible to change. I'm just trying to explain what is and is not possible today.

Sent:June 30, 2016 10:39 AM
Subject:Re: [science-iwg] Vote on TLP

Thanks for the clarification, Mike.

That helps indeed.

Regarding dual licensing (and focusing on the rationale behind, not necessarily on the policy as is), it seems to me that the concerns of the board you listed can be covered by the EPL part of the dual license.

To provide some context: it seems desirable for the science working group to welcome as much good scientific software projects as possible. Some of these projects have historically been distributed under LGPL licenses. If they become Eclipse projects it is perfectly legitimate to require distribution under the default license Eclipse feels comfortable with (EPL) and which enable particular business models for downstream usage of these projects or project components.
If, however, the original license (in this example LGPL which is popular in the science world) cannot be maintained in a dual licensing model, it can kill the ecosystem around the software project and may constitute a considerable barrier for bringing projects to the science TLP.

Best,
Tobias