[science-iwg] python, java, services, etc

Hi Folks,

There are some EF technologies relevant to the science workflow tech discussion that I wanted to contribute. Because of personal travel, however, I was unable to attend the session. So at the risk of repeating things that have been discussed, here are some potentially useful techologies for the scientific workflow work

1) OSGi Remote Services [1,2]. The EF project I lead implements the OSGI enterprise specs called Remote Services (and the associated management agent Remote Service Admin...RSA). The short story is that RS have all the advantages of OSGi services (e.g. dynamics, separation between contract and remote impl, versioning, and others [3]) but remote services allows service access across processes.

2) ECF's implementation of RS/RSA supports remote services across multiple languages and runtimes [4, 5]

3) I've personally been contributing to a Python-based implementation of many of the most important parts of OSGI called iPopo [6] (service registry, instance injection, bundle lifecycle, remote services, etc).

4) ECF's RS/RSA implementation supports (now) REST-based services, but also mqtt, jms, hazelcast, xml-rpc, javagroups, grpc/protocol buffers, websockets, and others [5] as well as supporting extension to any desired transport [7] (open source or not).

If there are any questions I monitor this list so please let me know.

Scott

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/ecf/

[2] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Communication_Framework_Project

[3] https://wiki.eclipse.org/OSGi_Remote_Services_and_ECF