Re: [science-iwg] System in Cloud with python

Hi Marek,

As you and Jay noted, there is indeed a significant overlap with Triquetrum.
So there is certainly sufficient room and interest for collaboration/inspiration!

Depending on your wish/interest, you could contribute and/or integrate (parts of) System in Cloud in the Triquetrum project?
Or a more light-weight approach could be to share work between the two projects?
Certainly you're free to reuse whatever we're building in Triquetrum.

Some quick ideas, but you're of course welcome to propose what would interest you! :
About the Triquetrum fwk choices, you can find more info on : http://eclipse.github.io/triquetrum/Introducing-Triquetrum/ (or via http://planeteclipse.org/planet/ a post of Dec 23rd).

Triquetrum has 3 lines of work :
1. the core is a workflow functionality based on a proven "engine", i.e. the Ptolemy II framework of UC Berkeley.
Depending on your internal designs, you might be interested in integrating that in System in Cloud as well?
Did you implement an own "process engine" or are you using one of the existing open-source ones?
Ptolemy offers lots of options to build/integrate flow implementations.
We could e.g. investigate if your block/task implementations can be migrated/wrapped in Ptolemy Actors and Directors.

The current status of the Triquetrum model editor is prototype at best.
Maybe you're at a more advanced stage at this moment, I would be interested to know on what underlying technologies you've built your modeler.

2. the Task-based processing API is designed to be independent of an actual workflow engine.
So System in Cloud could provide an alternative flow engine to orchestrate Tasks?
I would think it would be easy to bridge your Java Task concepts to Triquetrum Tasks and related task processing services.
And then you could reuse the technical features we'll be offering in all of this.

3. supporting services and APIs : this is the least concrete at this stage.
Maybe you want to collaborate on the requirements and implementations in this space?

Things I think could be interesting that System in Cloud could provide and Triquetrum could reuse, if you're open to this :
1. Experience and supporting software infrastructure for cloud-based deployments?
2. Particular task/block implementations from your application domain (video/image processing etc) could be plugged in as Actor implementations on Ptolemy/Triquetrum
3. Sharing experience and implementations on eclipse RCP graphical model editors
4. Probably more, but I need to check out your documentation a bit more still ;-)

Let's keep this exchange going!

regards,
erwin