Re: [science-iwg] Eclipse Datasets for Science

Great news! Looking forward to trying it.

Jay

On Sep 8, 2015 6:28 PM, "Tracy Miranda" <tracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Following on from our previous email[1] Jonah has now created a fork of DAWNSci's datasets which is available here: https://github.com/jonahkichwacoders/org.eclipse.dataset

Details of how you can try it out for yourself are here: https://github.com/jonahkichwacoders/org.eclipse.dataset.examples

In particular this fork:
* Is a subset of dataset functionality
* Has a p2 site available to try out the code
* p2 site includes source bundles
* Depends only on current Orbit approved bundles
* Has no pre-compiled JARs
* Works with Eclipse 4
* Works as a standalone JAR
* Includes all relevant tests from Dawn
* Buildable with maven/tycho (e.g. run mvn verify and get an update site)
* using Travis CI as build machine

Datasets features & functionality includes:
  * Various types: doubles, compound, complex, float, etc
  * Array creation
  * Universal functions e.g. sin, cos, exp
  * Linear algebra
  * Indexing & slicing
  * Regions of interest e.g. rectangular

This fork is intended to be a springboard for SWG members to try out DAWN datasets, and start to discuss how it applies to their projects. We will maintain it in the short term.

  When you next have an opportunity we hope all interested parties could
  1.Try it out
    - can you run the example?
    - can you integrate it with your codebase?

  2. Get Involved in architecture discussions:
    - how does it fit within your framework?
    - what works well?
    - what's missing?
    - suggestions for improvements.

Ultimately the goal is to have a standardised dataset API & implementation shared by all.

Regards,
Tracy