[science-iwg] Standalone data analysis application

Hi all, in my Science Working Group mailing list correspondence of
20th July [1] I discussed my aspiration to produce a standalone, open
source, data analysis application.  I'd like to share my thoughts so
far, for critical review.

Before I get shot down, I'm keen to clarify that I'm aware of existing
analysis applications that are in the Eclipse Science eco-system - but
they meet a different requirement, for a different class of user.  I
require a higher level application that has an more accommodating
learning curve.  Having said that, there's a strong chance that the
Eclipse Science "prior works" could be exploited to great value in the
underlying architecture.

I've collated my thoughts into the presentation linked below [2].
Hopefully the UI mockups will be particularly enlightening as to my
use case/UI model:

For my near-term requirement I require only a small subset of the
capabilities contained in the presentation (which I should be able to
develop with a quick turnaround), but I'm keen to keep the broader set
of capabilities in mind in designing the foundations - to avoid
medium-term tears.

I'm happy and keen to answer any questions (and exploit any
suggestions ;-) ) you may have.

cheers,
Ian

[1] http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists//science-iwg/msg00984.html