[recommenders-dev] [gsoc] CI (was Re: [gsoc] Away notice…)

Hi Marcel!

On 07.06.2013, at 00:14, Marcel Bruch <marcel.bruch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> After the setup, we'll then request a few build jobs at our CI servers that continuously run your builds and generate some public available update sites. We are not yet sure how this will look like in detail but we'll know when your fully automated builds are in place ;-)

For projects on GitHub, I think it makes a lot of sense to use Travis CI. It's a great CI system that integrates with GitHub and makes CI really easy: just drop a config file into the repo that basically says 'this is a Java project' and it will run the Maven build on every commit (see [1]). It also provides instant feedback in pull requests (indicating if the build works with the proposed change, see [3]) and nice little build status images that can easily be integrated into the project readme file etc (see [3]).

That way we could set it all up nicely in the GitHub environment and when the code moves to eclipse.org we can easily integrate it into the Recommenders jobs or setup additional jobs. The only thing that Travis does not automatically give us is a permantent p2 repo location (it would be possible to host p2 repos using the GitHub pages feature - but that gets a bit unreliable for larger p2 repos).

Personally, I think a working build, verified by Travis and reproducible locally in one step is good enough for development. Also, I'd say the privilege of being consumable from an eclipse.org location (even Hudson) is earned by successfully completing GSOC :-)

Just a suggestion obviously, no problem if you prefer Hudson jobs from the start.

Cheers,
Fabian

[1] http://about.travis-ci.org/docs/user/languages/java/
[2] http://about.travis-ci.org/blog/2012-09-04-pull-requests-just-got-even-more-awesome/