Re: [recommenders-dev] [gsoc] Away notice...

;-)

Hi GSOCers!

congratulations to those of you who got accepted. I'm very glad you join us for this year's GSOC. Many thanks also go to Eclipse Foundation and Google for their generous sponsoring.

I also like to thank all students who submitted a proposal but couldn't be selected due to limited slots available in the programme. Thanks for your proposals - and maybe you still find the projects you applied for interesting enough to continue your work on it outside the GSOC programme and help us spread the word about Code Recommenders. Just let us know ;-)

Also many thanks to this year's mentors: Johannes Dorn, Fabian Steeg, and Andreas Sewe. Thanks in advance for your spare time you will spent on mentoring our new students!

I as far as I know,  all students already got in contact with their mentors. I'd like to encourage all students to use this mailing list as the primary communication channel (instead of having a separate mailing list or personal emails) as suggested by Fabian and others before.  It makes this project more alive and creates a great feeling to see everything in vibration :)
For those that fear too much traffic, I'd like to pick up Andreas suggestion to use prefixes in the mail subject like [snipmatch], [extdoc], [models], [codesearch] etc. which allows everyone to quickly judge the relevance of an email. For general GSOC information I'll use [gsoc]. Every student should just pick his own prefix (the shorter the better) and constantly use this in his emails. Thanks.

I've seen that most of you already created new github projects which is fine. The next big (and probably challenging) step is to set up a Maven tycho build for every project. We'd like you to do this from the very beginning because code quality and test suites extremely valuable to us. If there are no tests - there is no code…

There is a common repository layout we use at recommenders. Please have a look at this layout [1] and adopt it to your own git repos.
Every repo should have at least one feature project and should generate one p2 repository (aka update site projects). Let us know when you have set up the initial build or are struggling with it ;-) We'll try to get you set up properly as quickly as we can.

After the setup, we'll then request a few build jobs at our CI servers that continuously run your builds and generate some public available update sites. We are not yet sure how this will look like in detail but we'll know when your fully automated builds are in place ;-)

Something else I'd like to draw your attention too is that it generally makes sense to send weekly emails (say every Tuesday) to the soc-dev and recommenders-dev mailing list in which you describe what you have done in the last week and what you plan for the next week. It would also be fine if your weekly report emails contain the references to your git repository (change logs) and p2 update sites so that everyone sees what you have committed and may even take the challenge and install your tools ;-) Since all members on these both lists volunteered to help you through and into the Eclipse Community, please take a few moments when writing the emails and make them interesting to read :)

So, that should be enough for the moment. Gentlemen, let's get to work ;-)

Best,
Marcel

P.S.: Please do not hesitate to ask for an helping hand on this list when setting up the build. When you spent more than day on this issue it's time to let us know :)

[1] https://github.com/mbruch/recommenders-v2

Back to the top