Re: [paho-dev] Status of paho-mqtt for python

One thing worth mentioning about the Eclipse Contributor Agreement (ECA): it does not require a copyright transfer from the contributor.

From the official ECA FAQ:

The purpose of the ECA is to provide a written record that you have agreed to provide your contributions of code and documentation under the licenses used by the Eclipse project(s) you're contributing to.

By the way, the Eclipse Foundation is an AISBL (Association Internationale Sans But Lucratif / International Non-Profit Association) under Belgian law. We are not a charity, however.

Best Regards,

Frédéric DESBIENS

Program Manager and Evangelist — IoT and Edge Computing | Eclipse Foundation

Community. Code. Collaboration.

Join us in Ludwigsburg! EclipseCon 2023 - October 16-19, 2023

On Mon, 2 Oct 2023 at 08:30, Greg Troxel via paho-dev <paho-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Peter Silva <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> * a patch breaking the build has been the HEAD of the master branch for
> about 10 months.
> * there is no other activity on that branch.
>
> How could nobody have complained about this for 10 months?

Easy.  Nobody tried to build and use it.

> This leads me to believe that development work is going on somewhere
> else, and somebody is updating this branch from time to time, but not
> using it at all...

The maintainer spoke up and said they would work on merging PRs and
making a release.  I believe this.

There's a much simpler explanation: Everybody is using 1.6.1, almost all
of them from packages, and it almost entirely works fine.  The number
of people with the combination of
  - has a problem
  - has figured out that the problem is in py-paho-mqtt
  - has the ability to make fixes
  - has the spare time
has been zero.   You've crossed into 1.

> Should I just open an issue on the breakage in the master branch?
> Or is there somewhere else where branches are more active?

Sure.  I already debugged it, which took under 30 minutes.

If you've signed the ECA you can prepare a patch and submit a PR, even
though 1 line and one underscore is not enough to be subject to
copyright.  (I generally do not even consider signing CLAs with other
than a charitable non-profit.)