Re: [paho-dev] Status of paho-mqtt for python

Peter Silva <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> * a patch breaking the build has been the HEAD of the master branch for
> about 10 months.
> * there is no other activity on that branch.
>
> How could nobody have complained about this for 10 months?

Easy.  Nobody tried to build and use it.

> This leads me to believe that development work is going on somewhere
> else, and somebody is updating this branch from time to time, but not
> using it at all...

The maintainer spoke up and said they would work on merging PRs and
making a release.  I believe this.

There's a much simpler explanation: Everybody is using 1.6.1, almost all
of them from packages, and it almost entirely works fine.  The number
of people with the combination of
  - has a problem
  - has figured out that the problem is in py-paho-mqtt
  - has the ability to make fixes
  - has the spare time
has been zero.   You've crossed into 1.

> Should I just open an issue on the breakage in the master branch?
> Or is there somewhere else where branches are more active?

Sure.  I already debugged it, which took under 30 minutes.

If you've signed the ECA you can prepare a patch and submit a PR, even
though 1 line and one underscore is not enough to be subject to
copyright.  (I generally do not even consider signing CLAs with other
than a charitable non-profit.)

Back to the top