Re: [paho-dev] Is paho.mqtt.python actively maintained?

Greg - Would you be open to a PR for a Download Badge on the ReadMe? PyPi Stats shows 1.4M downloads per month; a significant indicator that the project is very well supported.

I've run into this on several projects. In my previous role, the lack of a release on an open-source Go project led to a significant internal debate. The code was minimalistic and performant, plus we had enough knowledge to adjust the code. We ultimately lost due to the perception of the repo, which was quite unfortunate. A year later, beyond our control, a choice was made to use a paid product that solved the same problem.

Given that perception is nine-tenths of the law, managing it, like it or not, is a reality we have to attend to. We keep a download badge, as well as some others, on our Python NBA API Library for this reason alone.

On Tue, Jun 27, 2023 at 8:58 AM Greg Troxel <gdt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Philip Couling <couling@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Is paho.mqtt.python being actively maintained. The last release was October
> 2021 and I can only see a single commit in the repo after that release on
> github (https://github.com/eclipse/paho.mqtt.python).
>
> I might like to help support this code base. Though I'm not sure if any PRs
> I offer will get ignored through lack of maintenance.

For context, I maintain the pkgsrc package for this, and use it.

Are there serious open issues?  Does it fail to work with Python 3.11?
Something can be maintained in a sense while not having changes, if
there is no reason to have changes.

I can't speak for whoever has write access on the repo, but it seems
obvious that if you have fixed something, that submitting a PR is better
than not submitting a PR.